By Mourice Seretta
A court on Monday ordered the Anti-Terrorism Police Unit to produce former Nairobi Governor Mike Sonko in court on Tuesday for hearing of his case.
The court gave the order after the Governor failed to appear in court.
On February 9, Sonko was rushed to the Nairobi Hospital in an ambulance with alleged stomach pains.
He was admitted and later on said to be in stable condition.
Earlier that day, he had appeared before Kiambu Chief Magistrate Stella Atambo over several assault and forcible entry charges.
He was freed on Ksh.300,000 bond with surety of a similar amount after he denied the charges.
Sonko was seeking the court’s permission to travel to South Africa for surgery.
His doctor, Dr Esther Wekesa, said last week that Sonko was in dire need of hip replacement surgery and has already developed arthritis.
“If left untreated, avascular necrosis can lead to severe complications such as bone collapse or even fracture,” Wekesa said in documents filed in court.
Should Sonko travel to Mzansi, he will be attended to by a Dr Robert Van Der Plank who apparently came highly recommended.
Dr Plank cannot travel to Kenya at the moment but will review Sonko in Johannesburg.
Meanwhile, two other suspects charged with terrorism alongside Sonko, were released on Friday, unconditionally after spending 26 days behind bars.
The prosecution declined to charge the two after concluding investigations.