Five children laid to rest during emotional burial in Kilifi county 

50 100

A sombre mood engulfed the burial of five children who died after allegedly eating poisonous mushrooms at Mirihini sub location, Ganze constituency, Kilifi County

Mourners thronged little-known Katendewa B village for the burial of the five children who had died.

Five hearse vehicles, which were donated by Mombasa Cement, carried the remains from Kilifi morgue to the deceased homestead which which took three hours.

The Mombasa Cement Company director in charge of venture and beautification Imtiaz Sayani confirmed they paid for the victims’ hospital bill and the burial through the company’s corporate social responsibility (CSR).

Throughout the trip mourners lined up along the route to pay their last respects to the deceased.

Business along the route to the village came to a standstill as the motorcade was forced to stop after mourners yelled as the caskets headed to the homestead of the deceased.

Speaking at the burial site where emotions were high, the area assistant chief Lennox Katana acknowledged the tragedy is a big blow to the village.

He pointed out the death of the children has touched the entire village and not only close family members.

“We are totally saddened by the incident,” he added.

Munagano Primary School Deputy head teacher Margaret Kalume said they have suffered a major upset after the death of the five pupils at the school.

She disclosed the school lost Furaha Jumaa [14], Mariam Jumaa [9], Sharifu Jumaa [7], Mustafa Jumaa [6] and their cousin  Iddi Charo [9] which has plunged them into mourning.

“The pupils at the school have been reduced into mourning for their schoolmates,’’ she pointed out.

The parent of the deceased, Juma  Charo Kalume, told mourners they have lost four out of their eight children after allegedly eating poisonous mushrooms.       

He thanked Mombasa Cement for coming to his aid to assist him after the tragedy.

He said his wife has recovered and was discharged with the remaining siblings being in stable condition.  

Earlier, business was disrupted at the Kilifi county hospital funeral home as mourners thronged the morgue to collect the bodies for burial.

Brief prayers were conducted with mourners breaking down in tears.           

The Mombasa cement officer sent their condolences to the bereaved family who lost their children in the tragedy.           

He urged teachers to educate their pupils on the kind of things they can eat and appealed to pupils to seek clarification from their teachers on the things they can eat.

“There are several types of mushrooms and therefore before you eat any you have to seek for clarification,” he pointed out.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *